The University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Sydney provides a wide range of referral services in surgery for small animals.
Surgical Treatments Provided
- Lameness evaluations
- Treatment of cranial cruciate ligament rupture
- Total hip replacement
- Feline orthopeadic surgery
- Joint surgery
- Fracture repair
- Treatments for cancer
- Correction of congenital problems including liver shunts
- Abdominal surgery
- Treatment for heart defects
- Thoracic surgery (including minimally-invasive thoracoscopy)
- Airway surgery
- Spinal surgery
- Laparoscopy (including laparoscopic spays)
It is our objective to provide optimal care for our patients. State-of-the-art equipment is used during surgery and to monitor patients and advanced techniques in pain relief are used for all patients. Blood transfusions for dogs and cats are also available. 24hr patient care is provided.
Consultations are by appointment and are available Monday to Friday. Appointments for the Referral Surgery Service can be made through your veterinarian who will provide us with important information regarding your pet’s health. If you have a dog or a cat with a problem and would like further diagnostics or a second opinion, please speak to your veterinarian, who will be happy to arrange a referral for you.
Often, after consultation patients will be admitted into hospital for diagnostic investigations, which may include surgery if required. Patients may be jointly managed with one of our specialists of other disciplines, ensuring optimal patient care.
A detailed estimate of the cost will be provided at the time of consultation once a diagnostic and treatment plan has been discussed.
- Prof Kenneth Johnson Director of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr Laurencie Brunel Small Animal Surgery Specialist
- Dr Nina Lorenz Small Animal Surgery Specialist
- Dr Rachel Basa Small Animal Surgery Resident
- Dr Michelle Joffe Small Animal Surgery Resident