Tick Paralysis2018-10-29T14:02:48+00:00

Tick Paralysis

Paralysis ticks, once attached to the animal release a toxin which causes paralysis of the muscles usually starting from the back legs and continues to quickly ascend up the body.

Some animals will develop breathing difficulties from paralysis of the respiratory muscles. Paralysis ticks can cause death, if not treated promptly.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

It is recommended that you check your animal twice daily for paralysis ticks. Animals should be checked more frequently, if you live in, or are travelling to, coastal areas. We also recommend using tick/flea prevention products regularly, for more information on this please contact the clinic on 02 9351 3437 or email us: univet@sydney.edu.au.

Presence of a paralysis tick on your pet, requires veterinary attention immediately. Your veterinarian will be able to advise you further on tick prevention for your pet.

Is Your Dog a Lifesaver?

Blood donation saves dogs’ lives, and you can receive $100 to spend on merchandise or food!


Find Out More
close-link